Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Engagement



So, I knew it was coming, I just didn't know when.

We both were on the same page, and would tease each other:

Question, Mr. T "Why haven't I asked you to marry me yet?"

Answer, Future Mrs. T "I know, why haven't you?" :-)

Question, Future Mrs. T (while getting an awesome back rub), "Will you marry me?"

Answer Mr. T, "Are you asking me to marry you? I thought that was my job."

Answer to the Answer, Future Mrs. T, "I'm not going to ask you to marry me just for giving me good back rubs anymore!"

Then, on a visit to my Mom's last July, she gave us my Great Grandmother's ring, from the eldest daughter (in her family), to me, the eldest (and only) daughter in my family.  She told us that it was ours to use in any way that we wanted.  Both of us were deeply touched, as my GG had been married 100 years ago in 1910, and remained happily married until they both passed within a year of eachother.

Now I knew he had my GG's ring, and a ring of his Mother's and that he wanted to have something custom made.  The new ring would be a combination of his family, my family and "our" family.  And the waiting began....

Now, you all do not know this about me yet, but I am not what you would call a patient person ;-)  But I think I did a great job of not bugging him (other than to remind him several times that he should go to the wholesale jewelry stores in San Francisco :-)).  And I waited.  And waited.  And waited!

All of my family and friends love Mr. T and would ask ALL the time if he had proposed yet.  An example of the types of conversations I had during this period went like this:
On the Phone
Mrs. B, "Hi how's it going!  Are we going to be able to gether the first weekend in November?"

The Future Mrs. T, "I'm sorry that won't work, we have something going on that weekend."

Mrs. B, "Like?!?!  Are you getting married that weekend!!!??!!!"

The Future Mrs. T, "No silly, if I was engaged I would tell you!"
etc....

I love that they were as excited as I was!

On Friday October 3rd I got a text from Mr. T letting me know he was taking me on a "surprise date" that night.  Now, that was not a red flag to me, as he likes to surprise me on a regular basis.

I got home from work and he was already there to pick me up.  Once again, not a red flag, as he gets off work before me.  I asked him what I should wear and he told me whatever I wanted.  Any thoughts I had that this might be it disappeared.

While I was getting ready I asked him to pick a bottle of wine for us to take to dinner.  We had the following conversation, which we have every time we go out to dinner:

The Future Mrs. T, "Why don't you pick out a bottle of wine for us to take to dinner?"

Mr. T, "You always have me pick.  You should pick!"

The Future Mrs. T "The reason you always pick is because you always do such a great job honey!"

Mr. T, "This time you pick."

Normally, I would have him pick anyway (he does do an awesome job!).  But this time I agreed I would do it.  I was on the way out the door, already had my shoes on and everything! When I realized that I had not grabbed a bottle of wine.

The Future Mrs. T, "Oh! The wine!"

Mr. T, "What are you going to pick?" while following me in the room.

The Future Mrs. T, while looking at the open fridge, "OOOO!  Look!  We still have a bottle of Pride Cab Franc (more on Pride later)!"

I turned around to show him the bottle of our favorite wine.  He was clearly not as excited as I was.  He pointed over my shoulder at the fridge and aske "What's that?"

"What's what?" I asked, confused.

"That." he stated, still pointing.

I turned around and saw the red box that I had reached OVER to get to the wine!  Only I would miss the ring box because I was excited about the wine!

I picked it up and asked, heart pounding, "What is it?!?"  He responded, "I don't know what is it?"  At this point I can barely stay in my shoes I'm so excited.

We opened the ring box together, I saw my GG's solitare on a band of his Mom's diamonds, with a matching wedding band, made from his Mom's ring.  As he got down on one knee, and I started jumping up and down, and he asked me to marry him.  I think I might have said yes before he was finished asking!

He then took me to dinner at Bootleggers where we had our first date.  It was perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment