Monday, November 15, 2010

The Engagment Shoot

I'm a get things done type of girl.  I lined up our photographer, John Hoeft (whom I LOVE!), within days of our engagement.  We really wanted fall colors, but the California weather was not cooperating.  There hadn't been a cold-snap to change the leaves; apparently I am not a patient person.  We shot on September 16th; it was 89 degrees.  I didn't care; I couldn't wait a moment longer!

John is awesome!  Not only was he open to my suggestions, he took my vague ideas and turned them into something great!

We met at Boeger, a winery in Apple Hill, early on a Saturday morning.  We shot for a couple hours, getting great shots in the vines, at their historic winery and in their picnic area.  Then we headed over to High Hill Farms, (who by the way, has the best Arkansas Black apples you've ever eaten!) to finish out the day in an apple orchard.

Our shots included three outfit changes, wine consumption and a picnic.  Not that I'm partial or anything, but it was awesome!

We got our proofs back before the promised date.  I had told John that we were looking for three to five really great pictures for our Save the Date cards, and a couple good shots for us; currently most of our pictures are take at arms length ;-).

There were so many great shots that we had a hard time narrowing it down!  We ended up with 20 shots that we absolutely loved.  We even went with a more expensive Save the Date card so we could have more photos.

Here are my top five tips after going through the process:

1.  Talk to your photographer about how many outfit and location changes they are comfortable with.  It seems like one outfit change is pretty standard.  Keep in mind that if you have more than one outfit, you may end-up accidentally flashing a random person.  Ask yourself, "Am I comfortable changing in the car if my location doesn't have a bathroom?"  Location changes can be a little more difficult.  We were lucky in that John was able to give us some extra time and the winery and the apple orchard were literally down the road from each other.

2.  Choose outfits that complement each other (or at least don't clash).  Try to stay away from really busy patterns or complicated clothing that will get in the way of getting a great shot.

3.  Bring a pair of walking shoes and carry your heels.  My pretty little black satin shoes got covered in red, dusty dirt.  Plus, let me tell you, it was not easy to walk on uneven and hilly terrain in two inch heels, and I'm a pro!

4.  If you are shooting early in the morning, bring a jacket or a sweater to wear.  I wasn't thinking when I packed the car and as a result, was freezing at the beginning of the shoot.

5.  Bring props!  If you aren't sure of what to bring, ask your photographer.  We had a great time setting up a picnic, complete with blanket, basket and wine in the apple orchard.  Those are some of my favorite shots.

Have you picked a photographer?  Have you already done your engagement shoot?  What advise do you have for the Future Mrs' out there?


No comments:

Post a Comment